Most EAs begin their career by undertaking relief work first. Once you have proved yourself to the school, they will hopefully offer you more permanent work when a position becomes available:
1. Prepare your resume (see sample in your course portal)
2. Write a simple 1-page cover letter (optional) explaining your availability
3. Obtain your clearances
4. Make 50 job packs by photocopying the following and put into large envelopes:
5. Wear appropriate and professional clothing
6. Personally go to all schools that you are willing to travel to and:
Special needs schools are generally located within the larger primary or high school. However, they are separate schools with their own principal, teachers, EAs and classrooms. Make sure that you submit your job packs to both schools.
Some states have online notice boards or job boards where you can find and apply for advertised positions. In many cases, the position is awarded to a person who is already known to the school and has worked in the school previously. For this reason, we recommend beginning with relief work at more than one location.
Enrol in the entry level teacher assistant course for those beginning their career.LEARN MORE
With more than 4000 graduates, FTTA is the go-to provider for teacher's aide courses. 1 in 2 students choose to study the CHC40213 Certificate IV in Education Support with FTTA.
Head Office (WA): Unit 38, 12 Junction Bvd. COCKBURN CENTRAL WA 6164
Brisbane (Appointment only): S16, Level 18, 324 Queen St. Brisbane QLD 4000
Enquiries: 1300 858 191 | (08) 6555 2992 | email@example.com